Hackers always tend to break into wireless networks. However, if you have never changed the wireless router’s admin password, then they don’t even require to hack a router.
The hacker just needs to search for the brand or make of router and after this, he can easily get the default password details. So, it may put your router’s security in risk.
Other sources from where you can easily find the default admin password details include downloadable PDF manual available on the webpage of Netgear Modem Setup.
If you want to set up the router and want to change the default admin password, then here are some easy steps which you can follow on your own without requiring anybody’s help.
Changing the default password
The steps may vary according to make and model of router. Don’t forget to go through the router’s manual prior to performing the reset procedure. Read all the safety precautions carefully as indicated on the router’s documentation.
When you update the router’s password, all the data related to the settings, password, and username will be wiped off from the router. You will have to configure it again with the new password, encryption settings, and SSID.
- Press and hold the reset button: Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds depending on the model number of the router. If you are pressing it for a short time period, then it will reset and revert back to factory default. On some routers, you may need a paperclip or thumbtack for pressing the button.
- Connect the computer to Ethernet port of router: In order to access the router settings, you will have to go to ‘Administrator’ page. Some routers allow administration page accessing only through Ethernet cable. So, don’t connect through wireless WAN ports.
- Enter the router’s IP address in the interface of browser: There is a number of routers that uses 192.168.1.1 as a default IP address. This address can be accessed only from the internet but not from the router within the network only.
List of standard Addresses:
If you have any doubt any related to the IP address of your router, you can check the router’s manual online from the website.
- Enter default login username and password: To check the local username and password, you can either go to manufacturer website or check from the back of hardware where the sticker is pasted. All the details are labeled on the sticker. Otherwise, the login username is ‘Admin’ and password is ‘Password’.
- Changing the router’s admin password: Go to ‘Security and settings’ page from the home page of the Netgear modem. Here, you will find an option, ‘Change router’s password or login details’. Click to change or reset it.