The instructions written below will help you in uploading the firmware onto Netgear router using TFTP client.
There is a basic level of networking used in this process. Read all the steps carefully and if you find any problem understanding the steps, you can contact experts.
- Router not booting properly.
- Update failed.
- Blinking power LED.
- The solid Amber light on the router.
- The device keeps on restarting with a firmware update.
Steps to upload the firmware using TFTP client:
- Download the firmware in your computer and extract the files from the folder. You will find format either in .img or. Chk.
- Download and install TFTP software from Client for Mac users.
- Connect the computer to the router and assign a static IP address to it. If you are using a Mac, then click on ‘Set a static IP’ and proceed further.
- Go to ‘Windows start button’ and click on ‘Network Connections’.
- Search for ‘Ethernet’ followed by ‘Properties’.
- Double click ‘IPV4 or TCP IP’ option.
- Use below-mentioned information in the different address boxes.
- IP address: 168.1.10.
- Subnet mask: 255.255.0
- Default Gateway: 168.1.1
- Click to save settings.
- Run TFTP software on your device which was installed previously and go through following:
- From the Server interface, go to ‘LAN adapter of your computer’.
- In step 11, you have to enter the information related to the Host. Enter default IP of Netgear router here.
- Enter port 69 in the port number field. This is default port number for TFTP client.
- Go to the folder where you have kept the downloaded firmware and select it. Don’t click on PUT.
- Disconnect all devices connected to any port of your router except PC.
- Turn off the router for 10 seconds and turn on again.
- See the power LED which will flash orange and turn to solid after some seconds.
- Tap PUT button from TFTPD64 utility for uploading the firmware.
- A pop-up will soon get displayed on the screen which says, ‘0 block retransmitted’. If this message doesn’t get displayed then it means you have either left any step or performed wrongly.
- If you are successful, then the same message will be displayed on the screen and it will take 5 minutes to completely reboot and finish the firmware uploading on the router. Everything will get stored in the flash memory. The power LED will now turn solid and Wi-Fi LEDs will lit.